Tuesday, March 04, 2008

R.I.P. Gary Gygax

I just learned that Gary Gygax lost his last few hit points this morning. For those of you that don't know, Gary Gygax was one of the co-creators of Dungeons & Dragons, and was one of the biggest influences in my young life. I still remember breaking open my "Basic D&D" box, cutting out the die chits, and playing a D&D module (B1?) with my next door neighbor. I never had so much fun in my life, and I still look back at those days with much fondness.

Thank you Gary Gygax, and may you find a new treasure type in the next existence!

Update: No, a 70th level cleric did not resurrect Gary Gygax, but Order of the Stick did do a nice tribute to the dragon lord:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html

Check it out!

2 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Module B1 - Into the Unknown...

Good times.

My old character from Moody's LOTR campaign, Bingus Brandybuck, bows his head.

Gygax and crew started quite the phenomenon. He will be missed.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Man, someone pulled a brick out of the dike, and now all these memories are flooding in...

(I hope the woman isn't too upset...though she's probably happy to be rid of the brick.)