Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Judgment Day is Coming



Okay, so I came across a weird news story about a "life-like" robot that was unveiled recently. The link includes a video of this thing in action... sort of. (Personally, I think the thing moves and sounds like crap, so I guess they still have a lot of work to do). Anyway, there's a quote in the article:

And robotics company Cyberdyne Inc are set to start making it on a mass scale on Friday.


Cyberdyne? Interesting - I wonder if that's the SAME Cyberdyne from the second Terminator movie, Judgment Day? If you look at the actual Cyberdyne Inc. website, it does appear that they are building cyborg-like devices.

Will the robots rise up against the humans in the future? Is Judgment Day upon us? Should we be concerned??!?!?

(ps - I'm not REALLY concerned. Mostly I feel bad for the Japanese girl that was the model for the robot, because either she's got to be "weirded-out" by the robotic clone, or upset that her body is going to be mass manufactured. Man, her teen years are going to suck.)

9 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

Oh, man...I'm gonna have nightmares for a while after watching that.

DewKid said...

Yeah - the creepy music doesn't help either! I don't know why THIS robot is such a big deal. I was looking on YouTube, and there are many better examples of human-like robots, list this and this. All Japanese though... makes you wonder why they are trying so hard to make lifelike female robots...

Don Snabulus said...

Its' resusci-Tomiko! Make sure to use plenty of rubbing alcohol.

The Moody Minstrel said...

makes you wonder why they are trying so hard to make lifelike female robots...

No it doesn't. One look at Akihabara culture should be enough to answer that question.

DewKid said...

The heck is "Akihabara" culture? No wait, I don't want to know.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Akihabara is also known as "Electric City". It is a district of Tokyo that has long been famous for its electronics and computer-related shops (many of which are quite esoteric, i.e. places to go to get Amiga or OS/2 software, etc.).

Nowadays it is also famous for its geek culture. That includes not only lots of comic book shops but all kinds of very interesting hostess clubs...

The Moody Minstrel said...

Basically they've built a whole culture around masturbation.

DewKid said...

Um, I said I DON'T want to know. Great, now I'm going to have to unread that...

".noitabrutsam dnuora erutluc elohw a tliub ev'yeht yllacisaB"

Don Snabulus said...

Careful, you might summon ALex Trebek from the fifth dimension.