Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Magnetic Declination

I was trying to explain to a friend of mine why my compass watch had to be calibrated to work correctly in Southern California. I realized as I was explaining that I had forgotten everything the Boy Scouts taught me (well, I technically never made it past Webelo).

Go forth onto Google!!! Found a couple of neat entries on True North, and Magnetic Declination, but the best part was finding this cool animated gif:



The image depicts the change in the Earth's Magnetic Field Declination from 1590 to 1990. It should be noted that at the time of WWII, there was a -10 line sweeping quickly through Europe... (Random correlation, or cause/effect? YOU decide!) ;-P

Oh wait, there was something else that's almost cooler than that image above. True North Snacks!! Mmmmmmm, snacks!

2 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Very cool mapimation. My compass watch battery died a couple years ago. I finally bought another about a month ago, but the compass is all wacky. Sadly, I don't think it is the declination.

If I choose not to decide...I still have made a choice! (cue Rush guitars).

I believe you are outblogging me so far this year.

DewKid said...

Considering how rarely I've been posting these days, that's saying a lot! Ah well, we have our families and the Impasse blog to keep us busy.

Nothing else matteeeerrrrrrr-hurls!

(cue Metallica guitars)